Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cooking with brown rice



We don't eat white bread in our home. I know, I know. It sounds a little extreme and maybe it is but when I started counting calories I was horrified at the difference it made!. When I eat out (which now isn't often), I do eat my share of bread sticks and yummy rolls but this is the exception and not the norm.

I have also stopped using white rice (well mostly). We now use brown rice. The first few times I used brown rice I could hardly stand it. I had gone from a fluffy, tasty, palatable white rice to a chewy unsatisfying brown. Seeing the plain nutritional facts, however, I was unwilling to give up! I turned to facebook, and asked my great friends what to do about the problem. One response out of the many came back to my rescue. You are supposed to soak brown rice!!! Did you know that? No body told me and it wasn't on the package. Soaking it for more than 8 hours makes it soft and actually increases its nutritional value by helping the bran layer on the outside to release enzymes. It still isn't the same as white rice but the difference after the soaking is slight and completely worth the health benefits! My kids didn't even notice the difference, which says ALOT!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...