Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cauliflower Rice (caulirice)



Since we have converted to brown rice I still feel a little uneasy with the portion of calories that rice takes up in our meals. I ran onto a website about cauliflower rice (caulirice) recently. It looked super easy to make but it sounded a little "different" and I didn't know if my family would go for it.

I tried it today and WE LOVED IT!

We were all starving after church. I was making a low fat Italian chicken and rice crock pot meal. The sauce was done in the crock pot but the brown rice was taking a long time. Cauliflower rice is really easy and fast so I decided we could try it and start the meal with a sample of caulirice while the brown rice was finishing. We all liked it, even the kids! I ended up chopping up more of it. My husband loaded his plate which still would have been less than 60 calories!

It had a slightly different texture but it was good with less than 1/4th of the calories so you can eat a lot of it!

Caulirice recipe- Wash cauliflower head and chop finely with a food processor, food chopper or a knife. Put in covered, microwaveable bowl and cook WITHOUT water for approximately 4 minutes. Serve with your favorite rice sauce!

Rice facts:
White rice: 1/2 cup, 160 calories, 26 carbs
Brown rice: 1/2 cup, 100 calories, 20 carbs
Caulirice: 1/2 cup, 15 calories, 5 carbs

Here is an about.com video link on how to make it: Click Here

3 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

I happen to have a head of cauliflower in my fridge. I can't wait to try it!

Tami said...

This is on my list to try. I love fauxtatoes (mashed cauliflower)!

Sal-my-gal said...

Tried it with Hawaiian Haystacks. I thought it was great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...