Friday, February 12, 2010

Fat and Protein intake


The FDA uses Daily Values (DVs) for food labeling.

For people 4 years or older, eating 2,000 calories per day, the RDIs are:

Total Fat 65 g
Saturated Fatty Acids 20 g
Cholesterol 300 mg
Sodium 2400 mg
Potassium 4700 mg
Total Carbohydrate 300 g
Fiber 25 g
Protein 50 g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference_Daily_Intake

These numbers vary significantly when taking into account weight loss, lower or higher caloric needs, activity type and frequency and pregnancy.

For example. Right now while pregnant and still weight training and active I am supposed to be consuming 60-65 grams of protein a day. Whew! Seriously that is tough for me even with all the protein shakes and bars. I am not a meat eater. I still find myself unconsciously placing it to the side of my plate and picking it out of my meals. Protein intake however isn't a problem for a lot of Americans who create every meal around their meat choice. Most Americans exceed their carb intake as well. Anything extra turns into fat, even protein. But only protein seems to make the building blocks for muscle so if we break that down we need to build it back up.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...