Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Healthy Pancakes


Are healthy pancakes even possible? And if they were, wouldn't they just taste like cardboard?

Boy have I got some recipes for you!!!

I have two recipes here. Protein Pancakes and Wheat Blender pancakes. Both are yummy and have different advantages. And like normal pancakes these still remind me of eating dessert.

Protein Pancakes. These are a little bit healthier and heartier than the wheat blender pancakes. They will keep your blood sugar level longer and they are low in calories. I got this particular recipe from Kristi (Kristiapproved.com). They are not only better than regular pancakes they are also a real time saver when you make a bunch at a time. I make them at the beginning of the week and I freeze them in meal appropriate bags (3 medium sized per person). If I want to use them later I then pop them in a toaster and we serve them. They are as good as fresh.


Wheat Blender Pancakes: are a little easier and very tasty! They are a good way to use stored wheat germ if you are into that sort of thing. The wheat germ is also a pretty good source of protein believe it or not. These turn out very light, they do include sugar and oil though so I tend to lean towards the protein pancakes as better.

Syrup: I have three types of syrup because of our family dynamics. My husband uses a low calorie syrup which is also a sugar free syrup, I use a lite syrup for me. (I really don't like the sugar free but I will eat it here soon after the baby). I make a homemade yummy syrup for my kids since they can use the calories.

Protein Pancakes (These are included with some of the meal plans)
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1 TB vanilla protein powder
2 egg whites
1/4 banana
Blend dry ingredients in a blender then blend in wet ingredients and cook on the griddle.

Wheat Blender Pancakes
1 cup of milk or milk substitue
3/4 cup washed whole wheat kernels

Place milk in blender and add wheat. Blend on highest setting for 4 minutes before adding other ingredients! Then keep the blender going and add the following ingredients one at a time.

1-2 TBs sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
2tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup salad oil (I tried apple sauce and it didn't work as well)
Blend well

Bake on hot griddle about 300 degrees.

I have had to substitute the eggs for 3 TB of cornstarch because of egg allergies and I was shocked to discover that they turned out even yummier! Who would have thought!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...