Sunday, February 28, 2010

Knowing our weakness


It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
--Sun Tzu The Art of War


I like the idea that we need to know our eating weaknesses in order to overcome them. For example, chocolate is my greatest weakness. I am a complete addict. Easter is especially difficult for me as that is the only time that certain of my favorite treats are available. Also fatigue is a huge enemy. When I am fatigued I fall to this chocolate weakness more than I do at any other time. 

I know that if I get plenty of rest I am much more likely to resist this temptation. It is a good idea to record our "personal eating weaknesses" and our "enemies" and plan around them. If we have a diet coke addiction (weakness) where we have to have it first thing in the morning it might be a good idea to wake up and eat a good healthy breakfast to minimize cravings.

Managing our environment is key. There are many ways to do this based upon our personal weaknesses. If we have too big of potions at dinner, for example, than we might want to measure out portions and eat consciously and slowly and consume water so that our appetite meters have a chance to kick in and tell us we are full. 

I sometimes use smaller plate sizes that seemed to help me. Or we may need to add a 4:00 snack so that we are not famished by the time we reach the dinner table.

Happy Healthy Eating!

- Susan

For my FREE clean eating meal plans please go here and enter your name and email.  You will be sent my printable pdf files with the shopping lists, bulk prep, meal plan and the recipes! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...