Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cauliflower Eggs


Yes it might sound like the grossest dish on the planet but I have discovered something new and delightful. A girl in my neighborhood told me about this one, "cauliflower eggs". I smiled politely and said "oh, that sounds nice" and then inconspicuously swallowed a gag.

She told me that it made the eggs fluffier and that her family, even the little kids, liked it better then plain eggs. She mentioned it a while ago and I tried it for the first time this week and... *drum roll*.... They were surprising Delicious! My husband has now declared cauliflower the ultimate filler.

First you cook the 1/2 cup cauliflower for 5 min covered in the microwave in a ceramic dish with a tiny bit of water. Then put it in the blender and puree it. After it is pureed, mix it with the whipped eggs and cook. The eggs are fluffier and the taste is fabulous. 

I am not sure where the magic comes in...to make two things that are tasteless taste good together but I was impressed. It is somewhat difficult to get veggies in the morning, especially if you don't do green smoothies, but this is a good way to do it. Even if you are not thinking about veggies and nutrients at all this is a good way to make an ordinary dish more impressive and taste better.


Happy Healthy Eating!

- Susan


For my FREE clean eating meal plans please go here and enter your name and email.  You will be sent my printable pdf files with the shopping lists, bulk prep, meal plan and the recipes! 

5 comments:

Jules said...

It sounds like the sneaky chef and the other one by Jessica Seinfeld. You hide the veggies in the food so they don't know they are there. It works great with spaghetti and lots of other stuff. When my neighbors bring me extra veggies from the garden I puree them and hide them in my kids food. I've even made meatballs with spinach and they didn't know it was there.

Amy said...

Thanks! Great idea even if on the strange side. I'm wondering how many eggs do you do for 1/2 cup of cauliflower? Thanks!

seesuerun said...

I usually use 5-6 eggs. Here are the exact instructions from my old neighbor Crista Corry:

"We eat these at least once a week at our house. I have pureed cauliflower frozen in ½ cup serving Ziploc sandwich bags always in the freezer. Just get cauliflower (fresh or frozen whatever is cheaper and steam it add a little water and blend it then divide into ½ cup servings in separate bags.)


4 large eggs whites ( I do whole eggs for the kids)

2 large eggs

½ cup cauliflower puree

Add ham cubes (or cut up ham lunch meat) and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese towards end with some pepper to finish it off! YUMMY!"

They really turn out prettier than normal eggs!

Amy said...

Thank you! I tried them with the kids today and for the first time in a long time, they gobbled up their eggs and I was glad knowing there was some cauliflower in them too. They were really fluffy and delicious too. Your great - and your neighbor too.

Merri said...

I am intrigued... I'll try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...