Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Plan to Lose Weight

This will be the fourth time in my life where I have lost more than 30 pounds. Three pregnancies and post mission. Two of the pregnancies I actually gained 50 pounds. I recently had my forth baby where I gained 33 pounds. I lost the first 10 right away which is normal post-pregnancy. I have lost another 5 but now I have the last 18 to go. This last bit takes some diligence.

No matter what anyone says weight loss is a game of calories in calories out. It is a science. A person will lose if they play the game right and have the diligence and tools to focus on those numbers. Most people do not want to put the work in or don't know how to monitor their calories. Eating is the first line of defense with exercise as the second.

My plan- is to stay 250 calories below what is needed calorie wise and burn an additional 250 calories per day. That is 500 less calories a day totaling 3500 a week which equals 1 pound a week. At this amount I do not feel fatigued I actually feel energized and since I am eating nutritionally dense food I am eating a ton of it! When the weight comes off in this manner it is maintained!

I have planned out my calories with the meal plans which makes it extra easy to count them. I also count my calories daily with an online program. I record what I eat within the hour of when I eat it. I know it sounds like a lot of work but that is what it takes and it is worth it.

So many are willing to do crazy diets that are difficult to follow but they believe calories are too difficult to count or they try it a few days and decide that it isn't for them.

If I monitor it daily in addition to the meal plan it helps to keep me motivated and I can monitor the unexpected meals or foods that I encounter almost everyday. I can also add treats in once in a while if they fit the calories. I don't have to deprive myself of anything, I just eat in moderation. Another benefit of the online food journal is that I can see my proteins, sugars, fiber and sodium and adjust accordingly.

It used to be nearly impossible to count calories as needed. Now it is extremely easy with online programs it just takes diligence. I use www.livestrong.com for an online calorie journal but their are lots of them out there. I waited for years for something like this! This one has a large pool of food. If you go to the website you will have to create an account to save your settings but it is free. After creating the account you go to "my goals" and put in your current information and how much weight you want to lose. It then tells you the calories you need in order to accomplish that. It won't let you go more than 2 pounds a week which is sound advice. You then can click on "My plate" button and monitor your calories. You can also add in your physical activities and it adjusts you total calories needed for that.

Wish me luck. I can't wait to fit in my clothes again. Week 8 of my meal plans is on its way! I am just finishing the shopping list.

1 comment:

Sal-my-gal said...

You're super woman! I'd probably not even think about it until my baby was 6 months old! I'm glad you're back. I've been oh-so lazy with my diet. Time to get back on track.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...