Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Healthy Ranch Dressing!


I've done it! I found a yummy healthy ranch dressing for dips and yes it is possible.

I fight a little bit with raw veggies. I like them but I grow tired of eating them plain. I also detest the light and fat free Ranch dressings so I have been keeping my eye out for something that would hit the spot. I like hummus with them but I needed something else. It was right under my nose the whole time.

I have read recipes where you use a nonfat cottage cheese mixed with dry ranch dressing. I have actually used this for some time now but it kind of grosses me out. Something about those little white curds hanging on to the broccoli. I was about to give up on that idea but today I was thinking "It doesn't taste too bad but those curds yuck..." and then I thought "I wonder what would happen if I blended the cottage cheese with a little water." So I tried it and wa la! It was good! It reminds me of a yummy cream cheese holiday cracker dip.

Here is the recipe:
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
3-4 tsp of dry buttermilk ranch dressing
2-4 tbs of water (add more for a thinner ranch)

Put in blender, blend on high for 3 minutes. Stop blender and scrap the sides and blend one more time. Serve with raw veggies, or healthy crackers. Makes 4 servings.


Ranch comparisons.
Serving size for veggie dip 1/4 cup:
Regular Kraft Ranch: 300 cal, fat 32g, protein 0g, carbs 2g
Light Kraft Ranch: 154 cal, fat 14g, protein 0g, carbs 6g
My ranch: 50 cal, fat 0g, protein 7g, carbs 1g

I am sure someone else has figured this out to before, to blend it, but this a new discovery to me so I was excited. I tried it with the kids. One eyed it suspiciously because it was thick but they ate it up and didn't notice a difference with their veggies.



Happy Healthy Eating!

- Susan

2 comments:

Sal-my-gal said...

Sounds delish! I'll have to try this.

Sal-my-gal said...

Ugh! I read the recipe wrong and used 3-4 TBSP of ranch mix. It is sooooo salty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...