Friday, June 4, 2010

Dessert for Breakfast




I felt like I was eating dessert for breakfast this morning and honestly if I were served this shake at Cold Stone and didn't know what it was, I would think I was sinning. So I named this protein shake that is packed with power foods "Dessert for Breakfast". I feel better just looking at it. Strawberries and blueberries are fat, ripe and cheap right now in the stores so this is a good time to try this.

The recipe is below. It is similar to what I have already posted with some added ingredients. I added blueberries and ground flax seed or flax seed meal which up until 2 months ago I thought was over the top and only for extreme health nuts...I guess it still is.

I have however recently converted to the idea that it takes healthy fats to burn fat. That is a true principle so I have been looking for ways to add in more healthy fat into my meals so that I don't have to worry about taking a fish oil supplement (which is just fine by the way). So I went to a local health food store and bought some flax seed meal which is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. You can read more about it here For some reason it added a very nice texture to the shake and enhanced the yummy flavors. I am definitely hooked!

Here is the recipe:

Dessert for Breakfast Protein Shake
1 cup loose raw spinach leaves (benefits)
4 ripe medium strawberries (benefits )
1/4 cup blueberries ( benefits )
1 tbs ground flax seed ( benefits ) health foods store
1/2 scoop chocolate protein whey (at Walmart, Costco, Sam's usually in health food section)
1/4 cup raw oats (benefits)
4-6 ice cubes or 1 cup crushed ice
1/2 cup water

Put all ingredients in the blender and blend well and listen for the consistency to change. The blender will suddenly make a higher pitched sound when it is ready, otherwise it takes 2 minutes or longer for the blend time.

Nutrition facts:
Calories 200, fiber 7g, carb 25, sodium 35, protein 18 g, fat 4g

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...