Sunday, October 24, 2010

Clean Eating





What do you think of when you hear the term "Clean eating"? When I first heard the term it made me think of someone who was pale and sickly looking. I thought it meant cutting out...well everything. I also thought it meant being extreme in your choices of produce and meats. While that is great (and one day soon I hope to be more specific myself) I personally couldn't start with that.

Clean eating refers to not just what you eat but how you eat. LOTS of food, but healthy food. The right combination of protein, fats and complex carbohydrates. Lots and lots of water. It is a glorious state of being. All the numbness of taste buds that salt, fat and sugar cause begins to disappear. Fruit and vegetables actually taste good again. Lime juice is a delicious flavoring, ginger, garlic and herbs taste fantastic. You feel good and if you are like me your headaches go away and you have energy to take care of everyone around you including yourself. You don't have to think about what you will eat or when because it is already planned out. You can focus on other things in life than your food and you feel invigorated. You don't overeat, you don't beat yourself up any more. You just feel ...GOOD. While I personally still have A LONG way to go (remember junk food junkie here) the days I do focus on this I feel grand.

Who eats clean? It isn't the extremist health food community (although many have adopted the term) it is the body building community. Those who know the art of building a beautiful body. When I say body building, I don't mean just weight lifting competitors but men and women who compete by sculpting and shaping muscles and standing on a stage to show it. While this is too much for most of us who would never attempt a stage presence in a swim suit the principles have been mastered by the body building community and there have been recent efforts to try to bring these eating tactics mainstream.

If you do see one of these competitors on the street we tend to think "wow, they must work out a lot" but all of them will tell you that 80-90 percent of their hard work comes from what they eat. It is almost all about the eating. Over a year ago I would have never thought that body sculpting is mostly done through eating but it is. These people still spend ample time in the gym, that is without being said, but I don't think the common folk like us realize that their true battle isn't on the gym floor but in the kitchen. These people are artists and their canvas is their physic. Their materials are clean foods. Although, again, most of us would not go that extreme the principles are the same. I would highly recommend the book "The Clean Eating Diet." It is an easy read with recipes and some great advice. Also the biggest looser really pushes for clean eating. Most of their meals are clean. The most recent book 6 Weeks to a Healthier You has some wonderful recipes and great basic advice.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Such a fascinating subject. I've recently started getting headaches and wondered about the correlation between them and my food. Thank you for posting some recommended books--I love the idea of "these people [being] artists"...thought-provoking.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...