Sunday, December 12, 2010

Baba Ganoush- Egg Plant Hummus


My husband loves exotic food. When we go out to eat he never orders the same dish, while I on the other hand will only eat it if I like it and I don't dare take the chance of ordering something I don't like. 11 years ago when we got married he introduced me to Indian food. Bless his soul. As a country girl from a small town I thought Indian food was Indian Fry Bread (don't laugh we all have our ignorance :) since then I have grown to LOVE Indian food, with its flavors and delights.


What does this have to do with Baba Ganosh...nothing really except my husband is now exploring other foods and I get to take advantage of his discoveries. We had Baba Ganosh the other night. It is an Arab dish that I would say is comparable to hummus in texture and gives you a power punch of antioxidants (that is just a buzz word for either vitamin A, C, E in this case vitamin C). Baba Ganosh is one of the few dishes that I like so far that is made of egg plant and rates an A- in calorie count for nutrition. It is also very high in manganese, phosphorus, potassium, and dietary fiber. The only negative that I could see besides the near absence of protein is that it is a dip, which means crackers, breads, chips and even pita chips are used to eat it. In searching for recipes, however, I discovered a post from fatfreevegan.com where she had the same dilemma and discovered that she could use veggies (which are complex carbohydrates) to dip instead of the refined carbs such as breads. She has a nice lower fat recipe with a photo on her website. And since many chefs make their Baba float in oil this is a good alternative along with this recipe from calorie count .

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...