Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Microwave Corn Chips


Somethings are discovered by pure genius, some are discovered by the opposite. I would say this discovery is the later.

I put some corn tortillas in the microwave to warm them up and mindlessly set the time too high and walked away. When I realized a couple of minutes later that the microwave was still going I tried to rescue the crisp tortillas. Frustrated and still not willing to throw food away I set them aside. Walking back by a few minutes later I sampled one of tortillas and it was the perfect consistency and crunch for a home made tortilla chip. I have transformed corn tortillas to chips in the oven before but never imagined that they would turn out so great in the microwave.

These microwave chips are much easier than the oven chips and I like the consistancy better.

These are also a much less expensive and lower calorie option compared to store bought chips and are perfect for dipping in salsa. guacamole or hummus.

Here is the recipe

Take 2 corn tortillas and lay flat on a large glass plate (do not stack). Using a pizza cutter cut them into strips. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Take it out of microwave and flip pieces over to other side. Microwave again for 1 minute. Remove and salt to taste then let them sit for 2-5 minutes to harden (this is key) then serve. Super easy!

Compare
Store bought Corn chips 2 oz Calories: 300 Fat: 8 grams Cost: dollars
Microwave Corn chips 2 oz Calories: 90 Fat: 1 grams Cost: pennies

Happy Healthy Eating!
- Susan


To get my free meal plan at once and to enjoy all the other benefits of clean eating simply sign up here.

1 comment:

Grumblebee said...

What a great recipe! Simple and easy.. Thanks for sharing. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...