Sunday, February 6, 2011

Pumpkin Whole Wheat French Toast




Pumpkin is beautiful. It is packed with antioxidants and fiber. You may have read my sweet potato french toast post a few months back and this morning I tried the same treat but with pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes. I varied the recipe and made it super easy for me to do.

3 eggs whites
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 slice p28 protein bread (or whole wheat)
1/8 cup sugar free syrup

Combine first 3 ingredients and whip with a fork. Set left over canned pumpkin aside for the treat below. Add other ingredients except bread and whip. Put in shallow dish. Put bread in mixture and flip. Cook on heated pan and flip when ready. Cook both sides until slightly brown.

Total calories depends on bread and syrup used. We love agave and I must admit we use my own homemade syrup that is not low calorie.

Breakfast Totals (with p28 protein bread and sugar free syrup)
Calories 244.5
Fat 3.75
Chol 1.25
sodium 507.5
carbs 26.4
Fiber 4.5
Protein 29
Sugars 13

As for the kids, they loved it. I suspect they like it even more than regular french toast. The pumpkin does not change flavor too much but if anything it enhances it's flavor and apperance. This dish passed the kid-taste-test!

Now with the left over canned pumpkin I dine on it for days. I keep it in the fridge and then when I want something extra sweet I put some in a bowl and sprinkle it with nutmeg and cinnamon then put it in the microwave to warm it. I then top it off with a few pinches of a brown sugar Splendida mix. (You can use whatever sweetener you prefer. My preferences continue to change as the sweetener debates rage on.) It is warm and although I know it is all mental I feel somewhat healthier after eating pumpkin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I need more breakfast recipes, thanks!
Leesa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...