Saturday, March 26, 2011

4 minute bread


It has been over two months now and I have been making bread everyday. Before you think I am super mom (which I am definitely not) I think I should make it clear that I use a bread maker and it only takes me a total of 4 minutes. From start to clean up. I time myself.

At first it was a very bad idea. We started eating too much bread it just smelled so yummy coming out. Now we have learned a little more self control.

Although I would not call this a "clean bread" it is inexpensive and the calorie count is not too bad but the original recipe does contain a minimum amount of sugar and butter. My main objective is to use food storage right now and too eat as healthy as we can and as inexpensive as we can. We have a lot of wheat stored so I have been grinding that, which is an extremely easy process. There is nothing that compares to eating freshly baked whole wheat bread made out of freshly ground wheat.

I think the main purpose of this post is to pat myself on the back. I never thought I would make bread everyday. That just seemed like such a mythical thing to do. The biggest change that I have seen is the fact that now it costs me 15 cents to make a loaf of bread instead of $2.00. Also instead of running to the store to pick up a loaf of bread and getting a bunch of other items that I don't need I now make it in 4 minutes and put it on my fast setting and it is done in an hour.

Here is the bread maker recipe. I got it out of a Betty Crocker cook book Follow the instructions of your bread maker but mine says to put this in by this order.

1 cup 2 Tbs warm water
2 Tbs butter
1 cup white flour
2 cups wheat flour (I use white wheat it has a lighter appearance)
3 Tbs powder milk
2 Tbs sugar (or honey replacement)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

12 slices 90 calories a slice

On the longer, 3 hour cook setting this used to turn out like cotton it was so soft, on the fast setting it looks much more like a heavier homemade bread but the quick cooking time is worth it for me. My kids are used to it and prefer it and so do I.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I am so glad I read this! I almost forgot I have a breadmaker and haven't used it forever. I am going to have to try out the recipe. Thank you so much for sharing. Plus saving money is an extra bonus!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...