Saturday, March 26, 2011

Running- A Rant


I am a runner. Not just in my body but in my heart. Sounds cheesy I know but true.

I love it. I run because of the way it makes me feel inside. It clears my head and brings my soul closer to heaven. It resets my mood. It is my old friend that I cry to. When I am sad I run, it cheers me up. It solves my problems. There is nothing like the sound of my own feet on a paved road. It helps me think and rethink.

It is my preschool. As I run with my two youngest kids in the stroller we count, we laugh and play games, I tell stories, they listen, they learn not only by what I am saying but what I am doing.

It is my personal trainer and tells me when I am out of shape.

It is my addiction.

It is my TV time. I love to watch biggest loser as I am running on the treadmill. It is the only show I watch. I run 9 to 10 miles in one episode and I am disappointed when it is over.

It is my girl time. I love to run with friends. I love chatting about nothing and everything for a entire hour or more.

It is my competition. I love to race. I just completed my first half marathon since my last baby. 500 plus runners. I came in 3rd overall in women (3rd seems to be my number :). It was a fight, but a wonderful challenge. I struggled the last 7 miles trying to stay a head of another women, who actually took 2nd, we started as strangers and ended as good friends. Neither of us felt threatened, just glad the other was there to push us along and give a good fight.

It is my doctor. Migraines, headaches, fatigue and soreness. It seems to make me feel better. I am sure that I have added several years to my life by running. Whenever I am at a doctors office the nurse will look up from the blood pressure cuff and 9 times out of 10 say "You are a runner aren't you.".

I can't explain it to someone who sees running as something very uncomfortable. It is something that needs to be experienced. The initial discomfort wears off at some point and the pleasure takes its place. It is hard to pinpoint when that happens.

I have tried to put my heart into other sports but this is where I am meant to be. It is like I become hypnotized, I forget sometimes that I am running.

I want to be an old runner, that is the end goal. I admire the older women and men at the back of the starting line crowd. The seasoned runners, not going for time. Just to finish. I admire them more than any of the others.

Running is a long journey of joy I hope to do it as long as I can and share it with as many other people as I can.


***(My sweet friend is going to kill me for posting this picture of us a couple of years ago after a marathon. We became dear friends in that training. Love ya tons girl!)

4 comments:

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

I envy you. I wish I could do that.

Sal-my-gal said...

Oh. I want to be you when I grow up.

Kristin said...

I am not a runner, but I'd like to be. Any suggestions for a girl with bad joints?

seesuerun said...

You are all too kind!

Leesa you are wonderwoman!

Sally so are you!!!

Kristin- That is a tough one for sure. Talk to you Doctor first off. I'm sure she/he will have great advice

We deal with it with my husband. Here are some ideas that we do:
Water jogging is a fabulous form of exercise also they have all sorts of water aerobics varieties that a very effective,
spin or indoor cycle (my absolute FAVORITE!!!)
treadmill with cushioning properties, elliptical,
running in grass or on sand (careful watch for pot holes and do it at your own risk)
also it depends on if it is over the entire body or lower body only. When ever I get injured I turn to upper body kick boxing for a while. It does wonders for the look of the arms, shoulders and the upper back and can burn a decent amount of calories if done correctly.
Anyway good luck that is a tough one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...