Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Healthy Ice Cream- One ingredient

I know it sounds too good to be true but it is!!! The secret ingredient? Drum roll please....Bananas!

I have always noticed an ice cream texture when using frozen bananas in my protein shakes but never dreamed that you could make a yummy ice cream simply out of pureed frozen bananas! It's true! I thought they would turn out flakey or blobby or something but if you take this treat and put it side by side with vanilla ice cream you really can't tell the difference in it's consistency. A fair warning if you don't like bananas you won't like this but if you do like bananas, want a healthy dessert and it is a hot day you will love it!

Kidometer results

6 yr old- "Hey this is banana ice cream! I don't like bananas"

Other 6 yr old- Takes two bites no further comment (this is typical)

3 yr old- "I love this!" and then he promptly eats his and what is left of the twins and some!

Husband- "I really like that!"

Me- I am satisfied with one scoop. Not a perfect ice cream replacement for those who are seeking an exact match in delight but it is filling and flavorful. Wonderful on a hot day!

Recipe- Freeze bananas in 1 inch cuts. Puree if it blocks up use a tbs water. Serve with a ice cream scoop. Must be eaten immediately after serving or it loses a little bit of its charm.

2 bananas equals about 6 scoops
Serving size 1 scoop

I stole this from http://www.thekitchn.com/ thanks to a reference from my friend Lisa Wiley. Thanks Lisa you're the best!!!

Happy Healthy Eating!

- Susan

For my FREE clean eating meal plans please go here and enter your name and email.  You will be sent my printable pdf files with the shopping lists, bulk prep, meal plan and the recipes! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...