Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Butter Nut Squash Fries


All you healthy eaters are going to laugh at me but tonight was the first time I tried butter nut squash fries and I LOVED them!!! If you think of them as fries you may feel a little jipped but if you think of them as a delicious way to eat an excitingly healthy and savory veggie then you walk away with a smile!

Here is a link to a recipe from hungry girl. It shows a calorie comparison (370 calories for a meager serving of real fries compared to 65 calories of a hearty serving of butter nut). I love it when they do that so I can gloat about calories saved!

I peeled the squash with a potato peeler then sliced it in little strips. I cooked it in the oven on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 20 min then put it on broil to crisp for 2 min. I salted and YUMMY. My sister ate hers with honey which she really liked but I ate mine plain. I didn't kid approve these this time I was experimenting but I will try later I think they will be a hit!

(Photo is from hungry girl.com http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/512)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I have made these with a brush of olive oil and a small shake of season salt - they were scrumptious. I don't know, but you might - how bad for you is a little bit of season salt?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...