Monday, September 12, 2011

Caulirice again!



Here is an older post from over a year ago but out of all the things that people have come back and thanked me for caulirice and protein ranch are the most mentioned. Since I posted this we have had caulirice almost weekly. My kids by far now prefer it over regular white or brown rice and my kids are picky eaters!

Since we have converted to brown rice I still feel a little uneasy with the portion of calories that rice takes up in our meals. I ran onto a website about cauliflower rice (caulirice) recently. It looked super easy to make but it sounded a little "different" and I didn't know if my family would go for it.

I tried it today and WE LOVED IT!

We were all starving after church. I was making a low fat Italian chicken and rice crock pot meal. The sauce was done in the crock pot but the brown rice was taking a long time. Cauliflower rice is really easy and fast so I decided we could try it and start the meal with a sample of caulirice while the brown rice was finishing. We all liked it, even the kids! I ended up chopping up more of it. My husband loaded his plate which still would have been less than 60 calories!

It had a slightly different texture but it was good with less than 1/4th of the calories so you can eat a lot of it!


Caulirice Recipe 
A healthier and lower alternative to white rice!
Serves 4

Ingredients: 
1 head cauliflower.

Instructions: 
Wash cauliflower head and chop finely with a food processor, food chopper or a knife. Put in microwaveable glass bowl cover and cook WITHOUT water for approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with your favorite rice sauce or stir fry!


Rice facts serving size 1/2 cup:
White rice: 160 calories, 26 carbs
Brown rice: 100 calories, 20 carbs
Caulirice: 15 calories, 5 carbs

Here is an about.com video link on how to make it: Click Here

1 comment:

Traci said...

I love this rice! I use it a few times a month. THANKS for sharing this. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...