Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lean "Talk About Taco Salad"-290 calories

Made with protein ranch and microwaved corn chips. It is definitely a yummy, healthy alternative to a once fat filled meal.

I hope this recipe makes sense. This is a favorite family meal that I have modified for myself. I usually make the kids by mixing beans, ranch, turkey and cheese then use normal tortilla chips with theirs. I don't top theirs with salsa and we add in lettuce and mix.

With mine I count the calories and set my portions aside. Here is what I do for mine.
Ingredients *:
2 corn tortillas
1 cup of low fat cottage cheese (use only 1/4 cup per person)
Lettuce
1/4 cup kidney beans
2 oz 93/7 ground turkey
1-2 tsp taco seasoning
2 tsp dry buttermilk ranch seasoning per family
2 Tbs fresh salsa

Chips:
Stack corn tortillas and cut in wedges with a pizza cutter. Cook in microwave for 1 minute, seperate and flip and cook 1 more minute. Set aside and let crisp. If they are not crisp like chips after sitting 2 minutes microwave them for 30 more seconds, watch because they will burn.

Ranch:
I usually make the ranch for my family and separate my 1/4 cup after. So 1 cup of cottage cheese, 1-2 tsp of dry buttermilk ranch and about 1/4 cup water. Blend well in blender. This is where I eye ball it and taste test through out the process to get it just right. Add more water if needed or more cottage cheese for a creamier mixture. Separate 1/4 of cup for your serving.

Directions:
Mix 1/2 of individual portion of ranch (so 1/8 cup) with kidney beans, cooked ground turkey and taco seasoning. Place all corn chips on bottom of plate. Top with a bed of chopped lettuce then the bean mixture. Add the rest of the ranch (1/8 cup) and salsa on top. Sometimes I sprinkle with cheese VERY lightly just to make myself feel like I am eating a regular taco salad.

Nutrition Stats:
Calories: 290
Fat: 8g
Cholesterol:49 mg
Sodium: 474*
Carbs:36 (cut out 11 carbs by only using one corn tortilla!)
Fiber 7
Protein: 24
Sugars: 5

This sodium number is without the ranch dressing and taco seasoning. I am sure the sodium on this is much, much higher but I wasn't sure how to split up the numbers.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...