Monday, April 27, 2015

What I learned from the Boston Marathon


Last Monday I ran in the 119th Boston Marathon! I'd have to say it was one of the most amazing things I have done so far in my life. I loved/hated the run, and I learned a few things that I wanted to share.

1. Prepare and plan for all types of weather! I was watching the weather carefully for 10 days before the race. I knew there was going to be rain, but the days of rain kept changing. I packed my bags Friday night for a race on Monday. I did not pack good enough. 

I ended up buying a long sleeve running shirt to wear over my tank top. I bought a sweater for $1.99 at Sears to wear before the race and then donated it. I also bought a beanie to keep warm with before the start. I also ended up using socks for gloves for the first few miles to keep my hands warm.



I did do a few things right though! I put duct tape on my shoes and it did help for a little while. I had a few runners step into puddles and splash into my shoes through my ankles, but I think the duct tape worked well for a bit. I also wore a visor. It was so helpful to have a hat while running in the rain. 
I ended up covering the laces as well. 
If I could do it again I would wear shorts, tank top, long sleeve layer top, gloves (that I could throw away and not care) and a hat. It's better to over pack than under pack. 

2. Wear your bib # somewhere visible at all times. I was so unsure on what to wear! It was a chilly 48 degrees, 20 mph winds and rain! So I wore a tank, the long sleeved shirt I bought, and my long sleeve shirt I got at packet pick up. I wore my bib # on my top layer, however because I was getting too warm I shed my top later and tied it around my waist. So I have no way of seeing my pictures b/c my number was on my back. I have been manually searching through the unmarked pictures and it is not easy to search though that many photos. :) 


3. If you are running with an iPod check to make sure it's working. I always have a few tough miles in marathons so I listen to music to help me through. I had just bought a new album on iTunes and was so excited to listen to new music while running. But guess what? The songs did not work. I called iTunes after the marathon and got it all fixed, I wish I would have done it before the race.

4. You are stronger than you think! I can't tell you how many times I wanted to quit. I was cold and wet, my legs hurt, my music wasn't working and I wanted to just stop. I had to tell myself to just run one more mile, or I would tell myself if you make it to mile # whatever then I could stop. But I never did. At each new mile I would start it over with one more mile. I was so happy to be done and so proud I didn't quit! Yes my time was way slower than I wanted, but I finished and I can feel good about that!

And I am pretty sure I'll be back!

Happy trails,
Merri

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...